There’s gold in them thar hills!

Last weekend we shot the first event for the 2012 TV season in Oroville, CA. It was appropriately named the Gold Rush Car Show since Oroville was a center of gold prospecting activities in northern California during the rush in the mid 1800’s. The town only has a population of about 14,000 but the show drew an impressive 900+ cars.

My Classic Car - There’s gold in them thar hills!

My Classic Car - There’s gold in them thar hills!

Another fav of mine was a ’54 Chevy custom. I thought the car was pretty slick, but I especially got a kick out of its owner. He was a real character who did a Rodney Dangerfield that was second only to Dangerfield himself. The car had a Shock Top draft pull for a gearshift knob, and he claimed that he had to drain an entire keg at a local watering hole to get it. I got together with him there after the show to help in case he might need another one.

My Classic Car - There’s gold in them thar hills!

My Classic Car - There’s gold in them thar hills!

In the hardcore performance category, there was a serious ’69 Barracuda with the rare “Slickback” vinyl top option. The vinyl top was particularly interesting since this was a 10 sec drag car. However, this car could also be outfitted in “street dress” and since the owner was a California Highway Patrol officer, I suspect it was pretty well behaved when it wasn’t on the strip.

My Classic Car - There’s gold in them thar hills!

One of the weirdest vehicles at the show was a ’60 Jeep Forward Control, which I’d never even heard of. Forward Control was Jeep’s name for a cab-over-engine design. These could be configured differently depending on the application, and this one had spent most of its life as a wrecker in Colorado. You’d never know it tho because it was beautifully restored, and its nine-foot bed was straight as an arrow.

My Classic Car - There’s gold in them thar hills!

Rounding out the shoot was a really interesting ’68 442. What made it so unique were its interior and exterior colors. The body color was called “ivory”, but it definitely had a hint of green in it, and this was matched with a green vinyl top. The interior was perfect and while it was called “willow gold”, it had a lot of green in it too. The original 400 engine had been upgraded to a 455 out of a Tornado. The green rally wheels from a later model 442 might have been a little over the top (and I’m a green guy!). But you’re not likely to see another one like it, and this baby was sweet.

Next week we’ll be in PA finishing up the last shoot for the 2011 season. I think. It’s all sort of a blur to me. Might be lingering effects from all that Shock Top.

Happy Motoring,

1. Dave Spangler says:

Hello Dennis, Thanks so much for taking the time to enjoy the 442,I really enjoyed the interview and the conversation look forward to seeing it on your show. Thanks Dave Spangler

2. Joey Spada says:

Hi Dennis, great to hear from you ! Love the pics and the write up ! I had a great time hangin out with you and Ben. How was the Sierra Nevada Brewery ? No Shock Top there !!!! Hope all is well. No Respect !!
    Joey

3. Wanda says:

Dennis,
    Thank you for coming to Oroville, Ca. We were so pleased that you decided to tape our car show. I enjoyed watching your interaction with the participants and the viewers. Your fans were very happy to meet you, you were so generous with your time, signing autographs and taking pictures. The day “My Classic Car” came to town will not be forgotten for a long time to come!

4. Mike says:

I can not thank you enough for choosing the Oroville car show to be one of your events. Dozens of people have commented to me about what a good time they had meeting you in person and what a fun and gracious person you are. I was impressed that you took the time to look at every car at the show. Your knowledge and love of cars is second to none.You have left a long lasting great memory to me and many other people in our town.

5. Bill Scott says:

Please Post your production schedule for 2011. We would like to join you if your nearby. Thanks Bill Scott Jacksonville NC

6. Bob Rose says:

Hi Dennis-

Thanks for taking the time to talk with me and interview me. I’m glad you enjoyed looking at the jeep and thank you for having me and my jeep be a part of your show. It was great to meet you and I can’t wait to see the episode.

Thanks, Bob

7. Thil Wilcox says:

Dennis,

On behalf of the City of Oroville, and of course the Oro Dam Cruisers, I want to thank you for selecting our Gold Rush Car Show for your 2012 season. You made the day even more memorable for the events participants and the the citizens of our community.

Thank you again!

Thil Wilcox
    Vice Mayor – City of Oroville

8. jr says:

hay dennis. glad you had a good time in our lil town. to bad you didnt get a chance to interveiw my famley! we’ve built or did a fair amount of work on about 1/8 of the cars at this years show. we had our personal cars rite across from the ’54 Chevy custom. my 2 brothers and i have learned most of what we know from our father and building every thing from stock resto’s to full out mind blowing customs has been a famley afair. maybe next time. hope to see you in oroville again.

thanks and Happy Motoring, JR oroville CA

1. [...] One of the stars of the show was Tim Kerrigan’s ’62 Impala SS 409; beautifully resto-modded and sporting a two-tone red & faint yellow paint scheme. Tim is the President of Red Line Oil and the particular red he used is a DuPont color called Redline Red. Go figure. The paint theme was carried thru in the interior with the gauge faces being the same faint yellow used on the exterior. Read More [...]